What is the healthiest food for cats
The cat is an exclusively carnivorous animal, and its diet will have to contain a very large amount of animal protein. Thus, the cat’s menu should not lack meat or the special wet or dry food that you can find in specialty stores. But at the same time, your pet must be fed as properly, as balanced and diversified as possible, and the food must also provide him with proteins, vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients for health. Here is how you chose the healthiest food for cats!
What is the healthiest food for cats?
“You are what you eat.” It is generally valid for cats that depend on us, the owners, in everything they do. Indeed, food is the most important aspect when it comes to caring for a cat, just as much as monthly visits to the vet. It is important to note that a proper diet eliminates the additional costs to the vet for certain serious health problems of your ca.
With this information we come to your aid, to choose the most suitable food for your cat. First of all, we must list some essential elements, basic of the nutrition of any cat.
The essential needs of a cat for healthy nutrition:
- Protein from a specific source of meat, fish or poultry;
- Taurine, an essential amino acid;
- Other vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fatty acids;
- The water.
- Cats do not need carbohydrates, especially corn, wheat and rice and are used as fillers in cat food and are found in dry food.
Dry handle or wet food?
Many nutritionists believe that cats should eat a variety of food, both dry and canned, for several reasons:
- Dry food is convenient, in the sense that it can be left on the cat’s plate for self-serving;
- Wet food contains water and keeps cats hydrated, because they generally do not consume water;
- Food should provide the ideal amount of nutrients. The perfect type of food you have selected must contain a balanced amount of minerals and vitamins;
- Cats get bored of the same type of food and give up eating. So it is with people: to eat pizza in the morning, at lunch and in the evening for years in a row? Not only will you get bored of your diet, but your health will also suffer.
- Cats may be allergic to certain ingredients.
Cheap food is a fake economy
Many cat owners choose to buy the cheapest food they can find for their cats. This is a false economy for several reasons. First, studies have shown that cats eat as much as they need to get the nutrients their bodies need. The amount of carbohydrates in a cheap food is twice as small as the premium food. Thus, with cheap food, cats would have to eat a double dose of food to reach the required amount of nutrients estimated daily.
Secondly, continuous consumption of cheap food for a long time can lead to serious health problems, allergies, or various diseases.
As such, the famous saying “You get what you pay for” is generally valid in this case. The healthiest food for cats is super-premium and ultra-premium food, both dry and wet food. Choose the right food for your cat according to individual needs only in the presence of a veterinarian.